You have saved enough, and you have gone ahead and bought a bike for yourself; congratulations. You are now part of South Dakota’s rich riding culture. While owning a motorcycle comes with its fair share of freedom, you have to deal with the respective responsibilities. One of such obligations is motorcycle insurance.
Because you are new in the motorcycle world, you might be wondering: should I buy motorcycle insurance? Is it mandatory in South Dakota? At Wilcoxon Insurance Inc., situated in Sioux Falls, SD, we are glad you asked. Here, we help riders like you understand the motorcycle insurance landscape, helping you choose the right coverage.
Want to find out more? Please keep reading.
Is motorcycle insurance mandatory in South Dakota?
Yes, South Dakota requires you to carry motorcycle insurance, and you are required to show proof before registration of your bike. When on the roads, failure to show proof of insurance could lead to severe fines and penalties, including license suspension.
What motorcycle insurance options are offered in South Dakota?
While the state requires you to carry minimum motorcycle insurance coverage, your agent should advise whether it’s adequate. At first glance, the minimum coverages might look sufficient but may fall short when you are involved in a significant accident.
Other motorcycle insurance options that are offered for South Dakota riders include:
- Collision coverage to pay for your bike’s damages when involved in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage to protect your ride from theft, vandalism, fire, and other perils stated in your policy.
- Medical payment coverage to pay for medical costs, loss of income, and funeral expenses in accident-related injuries.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Did you know that approximately 8 percent of South Dakota motorists are uninsured? With many less responsible motorists on the road, you need this cover if you are involved in an accident with one of them.
What determines my motorcycle insurance rate?
While each insurance company computes its rate differently, the below factors are primarily considered in the computation.
- Your bike’s value and power rating
- Your location
- Your driving record
- Type of coverage you opt
Need motorcycle insurance? Whether you are an occasional rider or a seasoned biker, at Wilcoxon Insurance Inc., located in Sioux Falls, SD, we can customize motorcycle insurance for you. Contact us today, and our team shall handle the rest.